[Interest] What don't you like about Qt?

John C. Turnbull ozemale at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 5 01:33:37 CEST 2016

Thiago, it seems you have taken my comments as a personal attack on you and you have responded (naturally) in a defensive way.

Well, I tried to make it very clear from my opening sentence that this was *not* a personal attack on you (or anyone else for that matter). In fact, I *thought* I made it obvious how much I am aware and appreciative of your own massive and positive contributions to Qt in general.

So, if I failed in my communication skills and caused you to feel "attacked" then I am sorry. But please know, that was most definitely not my intention.

The remainder of your comments are, as I also said before, most likely absolutely "spot on" in terms of their level of accuracy.

But I think the key point here that perhaps you are missing is that for me and I suspect for many "customers", Qt is a commercial product and a support contract that we pay for. I see the entity that I am paying that money to as "The Qt Company".  Whether or not the Qt *project* is "open source" is neither here nor there in the context of one business paying another for a product and support.

So, your extensive commentary on the ins and outs of maintaining an open source project are probably very relevant in that context and I am sure you know far more about those kind of matters than most (including me).

Further, your motivations for contributing your time and expertise to this project are indeed honourable and, I have never suggested anything else.

So, please, understand that I am not in any way even trying to be critical of *you* and, on the contrary, I'm actually singing your praises!

I think we at crossed paths here and perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for me to put forward the comments I am making.  If that's the case then, again, I am sorry and please direct me to a more appropriate forum.

To summarise, I am speaking from the perspective of a paying customer of a commercial entity.

And I suspect I am not the only one.