[Interest] What don't you like about Qt?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 5 09:07:50 CEST 2016

Em quarta-feira, 5 de outubro de 2016, às 10:33:37 CEST, John C. Turnbull
escreveu:
> Thiago, it seems you have taken my comments as a personal attack on you and
> you have responded (naturally) in a defensive way.
>
> Well, I tried to make it very clear from my opening sentence that this was
> *not* a personal attack on you (or anyone else for that matter). In fact, I
> *thought* I made it obvious how much I am aware and appreciative of your
> own massive and positive contributions to Qt in general.

Hello John,

That was not the intention. I did not understand it as a personal attack nor
did I mean to attack you for saying it either. I totally understand your
position and I hope you understand my frankness.

> But I think the key point here that perhaps you are missing is that for me
> and I suspect for many "customers", Qt is a commercial product and a
> support contract that we pay for. I see the entity that I am paying that
> money to as "The Qt Company".  Whether or not the Qt *project* is "open
> source" is neither here nor there in the context of one business paying
> another for a product and support.

Indeed, you may feel that, but that discussion is between you and The Qt
Company, maybe between you and a consulting company you may have hired for a
project. I am not in that discussion and cannot comment about it.

But the bug reports in https://bugreports.qt.io are part of the Qt Project,
the open source side of it (just like this mailing list, actually). If you
report issues via the professional support contract, you get a different
person, dedicated to commercial customers, to look into your issue. They have
an SLA to respond to all your queries within a certain amount of time. They
also do try to reproduce your problem and come up with testcases.

As an open source developer, I only see the resulting testcase. That helps me
greatly, because the testcase is something I can almost immediately run,
confirm the issue, and fix, all within a couple of hours. Or I can confirm it's
not a bug and close the issue. Now, I can't confirm the other Qt modules have
the same success story, I can only speak for myself and my modules.

> So, please, understand that I am not in any way even trying to be critical
> of *you* and, on the contrary, I'm actually singing your praises!

No offence taken, don't worry.