[Interest] FUD around licensing (From What don't you like about Qt?)

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:45:11 CEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Giuseppe D'Angelo <
giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/10/16 10:22, Carel Combrink wrote:
>
>> The very first comment on the youtube video:
>> /"The latest versions do not seem to be free/" - iddn
>>
>> I really hope the free edition of such a great tool can be moved out of
>> the clutter about the licensing.
>>

> PS: I wanted to reply directly on there but then got prompted to create
>> a Youtube channel and there is no single link I can give someone for Qt
>> Creator except by going into the page source and seeing it should
>> be https://www.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-9
>>

> Thanks for that :)
>
> I was about to ask if it would be possible to split that page in multiple
> (cross-linked) pages, in order to maximize SEO and getting better search
> engine hits; but then I found out that that particular page is actually
> deliberately excluded from search engines (there's a <meta> noindex in the
> page). :\

I ran into this recently as well. In the past, I would Google "qt creator
open source download" to get to the page where I could easily download
creator, but that page is no longer a result (at least nowhere near the
top). Instead, the top result is now https://www.qt.io/download/, which as
others have said makes it quite easy to come to the conclusion that Qt
Creator is not appropriate for use due to licensing issues.

Adam