[Interest] Advise on setting up documentation for a project (Qt Help Framework or not)

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu Oct 13 19:43:42 CEST 2016

13.10.2016, 20:38, "Lorenz Haas" <lykurg at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
>>  All in all, I'm very interested in how all of you Qt Widgets using
>>  folks do your user manuals, if you use Qt Help or not, and if you
>>  publish in other ways. E.g. do you provide PDFs as well?
>
> what about Doxygen? I use it for documenting my code as well as writing
> manuals (more for developer then for customer, but that does not
> matter). The output is fully customizable
> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual/customize.html and with
> \page, \section, and \link you can easily write good manuals. If you
> like, Markdown is also supported
> (http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual/markdown.html) as well as
> many output formats like HTML, PDF or QCH.
>
> While writing the documentation pages only once, multiple doxygen
> configuration files can produce different manuals with different scopes.
> E.g. once configuration file for a pure user manual, one for developers
> and one only for the API documentation...
>
> For me, Doxygen fits all my needs
> (https://blog.qt.io/blog/2014/08/13/qt-weekly-17-linking-qt-classes-in-documentation-generated-with-doxygen/).
>
> In the end it's just a matter of taste :)

There are many HTML generators around, and Doxygen is just one of the options (Doxygen can even be used to create websites, as it's own site demonstrates)

Though it seems like original question was not about how to produce HTML, but how to integrate help into application (i.e., what QtHelp does)

> Cheers,
> Lorenz
>
> P.s.: Only the QML support is limited. Therefore I switched to qdoc once
> which behaves very similar to doxygen. If you ever have to deal with QML...

Out of curiosity, have you tried doxyqml?

Regards,
Konstantin