[Interest] Advise on setting up documentation for a project (Qt Help Framework or not)

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:59:44 CEST 2016

> 13.10.2016, 20:38, "Lorenz Haas" <lykurg at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>>>  All in all, I'm very interested in how all of you Qt Widgets using
>>>  folks do your user manuals, if you use Qt Help or not, and if you
>>>  publish in other ways. E.g. do you provide PDFs as well?
>>
>> what about Doxygen? I use it for documenting my code as well as writing
>> manuals (more for developer then for customer, but that does not
>> matter). The output is fully customizable
>> http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual/customize.html and with
>> \page, \section, and \link you can easily write good manuals. If you
>> like, Markdown is also supported
>> (http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/manual/markdown.html) as well as
>> many output formats like HTML, PDF or QCH.
>>
>> While writing the documentation pages only once, multiple doxygen
>> configuration files can produce different manuals with different scopes.
>> E.g. once configuration file for a pure user manual, one for developers
>> and one only for the API documentation...
>>
>> For me, Doxygen fits all my needs
>> (https://blog.qt.io/blog/2014/08/13/qt-weekly-17-linking-qt-classes-in-documentation-generated-with-doxygen/).
>>
>> In the end it's just a matter of taste :)
>
> There are many HTML generators around, and Doxygen is just one of the options (Doxygen can even be used to create websites, as it's own site demonstrates)
>
> Though it seems like original question was not about how to produce HTML, but how to integrate help into application (i.e., what QtHelp does)

Yea, I mentioned Qt Help because I was still a little unsure whether
this is something that we want (I mean, if we want to spend time on
application-integrated help stuff like What's This et.c.). So I was
curious how many people actually use it extensively.

Also of course interested in if there are any gotchas when authoring a
HTML manual that is to be used in both contexts (Web and
in-application throught Qt Help), should we decide to do that. The Qt
docs doesn't say much about how to author the HTML to be compressed
into a .qch, so I guess there are no gotchas :)

Elvis