[Interest] Qt 5.6LTS vs 5.7+

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun Sep 4 20:13:35 CEST 2016

>Qt 5.6 is for those who cannot upgrade. If you can upgrade, upgrade.

>>How (un)likely is it that one can remain locked into 5.6 because of dependent
>>code that doesn't build against 5.7+? Qt's backward compatibility principle
>>should prevent that, no?

It is extremely likely for development to remain locked to a version.
Forget for a minute identity theft enabling devices, also known as idiot
phones but marketed as "smart" phones. Think about real systems. There
are still systems locked at 3.3.

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Peoplentech-LLC/jobs/Qt-Developer-888a0efa7f9c86b9?q=Qt+Developer+3.3

That posted contract is less than a month old. Once you get a large
scale production thing going it becomes very difficult to change. If you
are building/producing a medical device, be it a patient monitor,
surgical robot or something in between FDA mandated new product testing
kicks in when you make a significant change to the device, such as a new
development library or OS. Some of these test paths can be many years
long. It can take in excess of 7 years to get something like a surgical
robot through all of the testing and field trials. (No, I don't think
the process should be shortened. One of those things could end up
cutting on _me_ some day!) Required test procedures for "minor"
enhancements such as a new display feature are much less onerous.

I have heard tell of various electrical grid monitoring/control systems
locked at 4.2. Others have told me some rail monitor/control systems are
currently locked at 4.8 (as are a good number of medical devices)
because once you get tested & trusted, you cannot risk a major change.
You know where the current problems are with your tools and, more
importantly, you know how to avoid/work around them.

The problem with Qt right now is that it is trying to serve multiple
masters. It is trying to bring in script kiddies with this disasterrous
QML project. I just ran a simple QML project test on the Raspberry Pi:
http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/information-technology/raspberry-qt-part-12-qml-blows-big-stinky-chunks/
Yimminy is it a resource pig. They are also trying to serve the
real/true embedded systems developers slaving away to squeeze ever
second of battery life and ounce of performance from an underpowered
CPU. It is no secret that running a processor above 90% utilization
draws more current than running it at 8% or less. If you want to know
why trendy phone owners end up being "wall huggers" unable to get too
far for too long from either a wall outlet or a USB port, it is the
prevalence of scripting engines and applications written to use them
keeping the processor pegged.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions