[Interest] What don't you like about Qt?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 21 19:58:43 CEST 2016

On quarta-feira, 21 de setembro de 2016 09:08:09 PDT André Somers wrote:
> Op 20/09/2016 om 22:09 schreef Alejandro Exojo:
> > On Monday 19 September 2016 18:35:43 Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal wrote:
> >> Yes, but for instance you can't move-pass an object between signals and
> >> slots across a queued connection, unless I'm wrong. You have to make your
> >> object implicitely shared. This causes lots of copies when passing a
> >> std::vector, for instance.
> >
> > The Qt style on designing signals, is to use those for indicating that
> > something happened, but not passing the something in the signal. For
> > example, you get a signal that new data is available (e.g. a datagram),
> > but you don't get the datagram passed as signal argument.
>
> You don't? Well, you can certainly get a pointer to it (which is cheap,
> of course)...
> See QNetworkAccessManager::finished(QNetworkReply *reply); [signal]

That's to indicate *which* reply finished. That's not passing actual data,
since you probably already had a pointer to this QNetworkReply anyway.

Similarly to bytesWritten(qint64): it tells you how many bytes were written
and we found that it's the most common action that happens in the slot.
Compare to readyRead(): it could have told you how many bytes were read, but
it would never give you the bytes that were read. That's up to you. And since
you'd have to read yourself, giving you the count of how many bytes were read
since the last time wasn't a very useful information.

> I would say that it is quite normal to signal the finishing of some
> operation _and_ directly pass along the results of that operation. If
> that is a std::vector, then indeed it would result in copying (so I'd go
> looking for a different design there, perhaps use a QVector instead).

Signals with non-trivial content are uncommon.