[Interest] What you don't like about Qt

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Sep 23 17:13:44 CEST 2016

> Not an isolated case. Client after client tells the same story. The
> licensing team at Digia must be paid on commission because _every_ use
> requires a license when you first contact them.

FWIW, My dealings with the licensing people have been good.

> What I don't like right now about Qt is the 3-legged arthritic dog
> running in deep snow called QML. It was a bastardized concept when first
> conceived and it hasn't gotten any better. Nokia started that concept
> which explains why they are non-existent in the phone market today.

Actually, the entire industry is moving to declarative. React+JSX is the most recent example. If you want the first example, I think it was XUL, the layout engine for Mozilla ("Seamonkey"? about 15 years ago) and since then it's been attempted in various places (Even MS). FWIW, I think Qt's implementation of declarative is hands-down the best implementation, and I don't think it can be beat. And that's me, an old QWidget guy since 2004.