[Interest] Current QDataStream format documentation?

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Fri Sep 23 19:05:28 CEST 2016

Il 23/09/2016 17:14, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> The expectation is that you read QDataStream with QDataStream. You don't need
> to know what it writes, only that it can read what it writes.

Where has this expectation *ever* been stated? The very fact that we
document the wire format is so that people can use something different
than QDataStream to read the output (or provide input into it).

I keep my point that we have problems in the process, because:

1) at release time (?) we bump QDataStream's output version enum without
updating that documentation page about the wire format. (I don't even
understand how the decision about bumping the version number or not
bumping it is done. A flag in [ChangeLog]? Manual grepping? Emails on
the list?)

2) we have types which change serialization format depending on the
stream's version, and we don't document what's exactly serialized for
each version. What do I get if, when using 5.8, I stream a QDateTime
using the Qt_3_3 format?

2b) we must enforce as a review rule that the wire format documentation
page must be updated together with every patch that changes how a type
is serialized.

If you think the above is wrong, then please do submit a change that
gets rid of the wire format page and adds a note in QDataStream's
documentation to tell people that QDataStream only interacts with
QDataStream.

My 2 c,
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908
KDAB - Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts