[Interest] Current QDataStream format documentation?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Sep 24 02:12:22 CEST 2016

On sexta-feira, 23 de setembro de 2016 17:41:30 PDT Jason H wrote:
> > > commits to find out what changed? I wouldn't even know where to start.
> >
> > The expectation is that you read QDataStream with QDataStream. You don't
> > need to know what it writes, only that it can read what it writes.
>
> Which is great until it's writing to another device that does not implement
> Qt, because it's an Arduino or similar. I don't think it's an unusual
> scenario that you're using QDataStream to exchange data to a device that
> does not implement Qt.

Reading with "a device that does not implement Qt" violates the expectation
that I wrote: use QDataStream with QDataStream only.

If you can't use QDataStream on the other side, you should write your own
protocol.

Note: this is my opinion and there certainly are people who disagree. That's
why the format was documented in the first place.