[Interest] What you don't like about Qt

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Sep 23 21:16:44 CEST 2016

> > Actually, the entire industry is moving to declarative.
>
> Declarative with mandatory bits of imperative Javascript?

Well with blanket statement being admittedly blanket in nature and subject to all the caveats therein, yes.

I realize that many of you are embedded engineers, and will forever be behind the bleeding edge, and was too until recently. I'm now mobile, which puts me out in the forefront of a lot of technology. The web technology is iterating so fast these days, but javascript, an absolutely terrible languages invented in 10 days in 1995, is taking over. Now, everything can be transpiled into JS, and run at half speed thanks to ASM.js in a browser.
Angular (MS, GOOG) uses TypeScript (MS) transpiles down to JS. Meanwhile other web toolkits like React+JSX are becoming Declarative in nature. QMLWeb is a port of QML to the web as well. Even the old Qt UI files were somewhat declarative, with signal/slot mappings included in the UI file.

Here's a tongue in cheek but very informative talk about it: (30min)
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

Because QML has rough edges and isn't 100% C++, that's more of an implementation detail, one that can be addressed without throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'm still a fan of Elegant Architecture and MVC and all that, and it still can all be done in QML. It's just that it's easier than ever.