[Interest] QtQuick import question

Viktor Engelmann viktor.engelmann at qt.io
Thu Apr 13 10:12:31 CEST 2017

The _version_ only affects which properties/methods are visible, so you
should always go for the minimal version that has all the interfaces you
use.

say there is a qml class foo. in version 1.0 it has method bar, in 1.1
it also has method ham and in 1.2 method eggs.

if you import 1.2 although you only use bar and ham, it won't run on
systems that only have version 1.1 although it could. On systems that
have 1.2, you still have all the bugfixes that went into bar and ham
between 1.1 and 1.2 - again, the version only affects which parts of the
interface are visible.

Viktor

p.s. I don't think that other languages "get away without having a
version". In other languages, you only push the trouble onto someone
else. So you have for example a windows 9x, a win NT, a win vista,...
version of your program and the customer must know which windows version
he has (plus you need to bundle all the non-OS libraries you use,
polluting the customers hard drive). And that approach only works for
OSes that have a very limited set of releases, which isn't the case for
linux.
On linux, it's the packagers' job to know which version of which library
has which interface. That's why you have versioned dependencies in .deb
packages for example (and that makes things a lot more difficult without
any benefit).

On 13.04.2017 08:48, Elvis Stansvik wrote:

> Den 13 apr. 2017 2:52 fm skrev "Jason H" <jhihn at gmx.com

Viktor Engelmann
Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin

Viktor.Engelmann at qt.io
+49 151 26784521

http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B