[Interest] Another query on GTK platform theme/style

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 10:42:10 CEST 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> Em segunda-feira, 17 de abril de 2017, às 23:44:06 PDT, Elvis Stansvik
> escreveu:
>> Den 18 apr. 2017 6:46 fm skrev "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com
>> >
>> > Use the one from Fedora developers.
>>
>> Do you mean as a temporary solution, or are there are no plans for an
>> official Gtk3 style plugin?
>
> I did not mean temporary. It's permanent as long as the developers of this
> platform theme plugin do not decide to submit their code to Qt. It's their
> project, they can do whatever they want with it. Now, I don't know if anyone
> has ever asked them. I, for one, didn't know it existed until a few hours ago.
>
> I don't think Qt developers should redevelop it from scratch. That wouldn't be
> a good use of our time, plus the Fedora developers are actually knowledgeable
> about Gtk, unlike us.
>
>> I've always thought it a great strength that Qt can look native on both the
>> big Linux desktops out of the box, so would be a bit sad if there are no
>> plans for a Gtk3 successor to the Gtk2 style.
>
> If the plugin is installed system-wide, any Qt should be able to load it, even
> the official binary packages (provided the plugin can be somehow found).
>
> This applies to the KDE platform theme plugin too.

This sadly isn't the case.hat might not be entirely correct anymore.
It used to be a platform plugin that you could load in any desktop environment.

But this changed some half year ago [1] since they had issues they
"could not resolve otherwise"...
The platform theme is now part of some plasma library or kwin. Don't know.

That doesn't mean it doesn't work. It's just not guaranteed to work
and if it does, it will lack support for some features. I think it was
about the system tray, but i don't know the details.

[1] https://cgit.kde.org/frameworkintegration.git/commit/?id=5ddb0b262dc409071f556dbd3f94799136b60909