[Interest] Mac: a bit of 10.9 love

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Aug 3 20:15:07 CEST 2017

I am curious to find out just how many customers of your application
there are that are _still_ on macOS 10.9?

Even if it is just a few why are you letting just a few customers hold
you back from using newer compilers, versions of C++, newer tools. Why
are you letting those few customers make you take your valuable time to
backport all this stuff? Unless those are customers that are paying you
a lot of money to keep the compatibility or there is a hard contractual
requirement to keep the compatibility...

In our own project we tried to maintain that backward compatibility but
we finally realized that we were just holding ourselves back because we
didn't have access to all the new C++ features in C++11, 14 and upcoming
17 specs that we wanted to use. Both to code more efficiently and to
make our lives easier. We just started punting old compilers and support
for those. We did one last release based on the older libraries,
informed our users of the migration to newer tools and have not looked back.

--
Michael A. Jackson
BlueQuartz Software, LLC
[e]: mike.jackson at bluequartz.net