[Interest] Mac: a bit of 10.9 love

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Fri Aug 4 03:15:02 CEST 2017

> On Aug 3, 2017, at 5:30 PM, René J. V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jake Petroules wrote:
>
>> The fact that the operating system allows libraries explicitly marked as
>> requiring macOS 10.10, to even be loaded on 10.9, is mind-boggling to me.
>

> Probably because 10.9 does have a version of the 10.10 SDK .

No, it has nothing to do with that. You are yet another Mac developer confusing the SDK version with the deployment target. :) Building on 10.9 with the 10.10 SDK with a deployment target of 10.9, and running the resulting binaries, is fine. Building on 10.9 with the 10.10 SDK with a deployment target of 10.10, and running the resulting binaries, is NOT fine. It *might* work if you're lucky enough not to call any APIs requiring a newer OS version, and not using any linker features incompatible with the older OS, because dyld is too lazy to check the value of the LC_VERSION_MIN_MACOSX when loading shared libraries. In my opinion, it SHOULD abort with error when this is attempted. You're literally making an explicit declaration of a requirement for a particular version.