[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 75, Issue 5

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Sat Dec 9 16:51:11 CET 2017

> On 12/09/2017 08:21 AM, Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
>
>> I already contacted Digia directly and asked them this and other
>> Questions. Also gave those and more Details. But the only answer after a
>> few weeks was: "Thanks for contacting us. Please tell us what License
>> you want to buy" etc. They seem to hate the Open Source Community as
>> they never answer anything but instead you get contacted by a Sales
>> Person. So they are not helpful at all. At least from my experience.
>
> Oliver,
>
> That has been the experience of EVERY ONE of my clients. When
> they contact Digia to ask about what is and is not OpenSource
> sales calls back to tell them even "Hello World" needs a
> commercial license. So, rather than be a legitimate player in the
> OpenSource world, they attempt to be extortionists.
>
> One thing I have found rather impressive. When your client has a
> very significant law firm ask the EXACT question, words and all,
> suddenly sales responds "Go with God my child. You have my
> blessing."

Sales are there to sale stuff. Not to provide you free consultations about
Open Source software, its licensing, etc. For these things you should
use different communication channels: mailing lists and IRC.

(Also, if someone has little experience with open source, but is not
limited in money, bying commercial license is indeed might be an
adequate solution)

> Adding insult to injury, when a noob happens upon the Qt Web
> site, it is almost impossible for them to find and download the
> OpenSource version. Yes, people on here have saved the links and
> pass them around, but go there with the eyes of a noob and try to
> find the OpenSource version without filling out some form asking
> for as much personal information as Google gathers on everyone
> daily...

That's a shame indeed. Redirecting people one by one to
http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/ doesn't scale well.

--
Regards,
Konstantin