[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 75, Issue 5

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sat Dec 9 16:11:07 CET 2017

On 12/09/2017 08:21 AM,  Oliver Niebuhr wrote:
> I already contacted Digia directly and asked them this and other
> Questions. Also gave those and more Details. But the only answer after a
> few weeks was: "Thanks for contacting us. Please tell us what License
> you want to buy" etc. They seem to hate the Open Source Community as
> they never answer anything but instead you get contacted by a Sales
> Person. So they are not helpful at all. At least from my experience.
Oliver,

That has been the experience of EVERY ONE of my clients. When they
contact Digia to ask about what is and is not OpenSource sales calls
back to tell them even "Hello World" needs a commercial license. So,
rather than be a legitimate player in the OpenSource world, they attempt
to be extortionists.

One thing I have found rather impressive. When your client has a very
significant law firm ask the EXACT question, words and all, suddenly
sales responds "Go with God my child. You have my blessing."

Adding insult to injury, when a noob happens upon the Qt Web site, it is
almost impossible for them to find and download the OpenSource version.
Yes, people on here have saved the links and pass them around, but go
there with the eyes of a noob and try to find the OpenSource version
without filling out some form asking for as much personal information as
Google gathers on everyone daily...

Oh, Oliver. The answer to your question depends on the size and
reputation of the lawyers you have asking it. You, me and everyone else
will all have sales continue telling us even "Hello World" needs a
commercial license.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions