[Interest] font smoothing gamma changes in Qt 5.9?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 19:51:40 CET 2017

Hi,

Has something changed to the font smoothing gamma algorithm used with
libfreetype in Qt 5.9?

- I need to set it to 1.5 instead of 0.975 to get the same font density with the
freetype/Mac font engine (= font density became much higher compared to 5.8.0)
- Building the XCB QPA on Mac I need to go down from the default 1.7 to 0.95 (=
font density decreased by almost as much as it increased with the Cocoa QPA).

It'll be a few days before I can verify if I observe differences under
Linux/X11.

Thanks,
R.