[Interest] font smoothing gamma changes in Qt 5.9?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 12:02:21 CET 2017

Hi,

Well, it's confirmed: I was seeing the same "watery" rendering on certain fonts under Linux/X11 using Freetype+Infinality (still on 2.6.5 on Linux; Mac has 2.7.1 with the same patches). I need a font smoothing gamma of 0.95 to get the font colour I had with Qt 5.8 across all fonts I tested. Which means that font rendering quality is still leagues ahead of what you get without those patches: better than the Mac font rendering quality in any case (on "normal" displays).

Again, the Novarese family is the one I use that's most affected. I don't really get why other fonts aren't affected (and still look about the same with the tweaked smoothing gamma).
The up-to-date Infinality patches are here, if you're interested to see if they do anything that interacts with your new rendering approach:
https://github.com/archfan/infinality_bundle

I take it you checked the new rendering with those older Freetype versions?

R.