[Interest] font smoothing gamma changes in Qt 5.9?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Dec 21 17:05:45 CET 2017

On Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2017 12:02:21 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, it's confirmed: I was seeing the same "watery" rendering on certain
> fonts under Linux/X11 using Freetype+Infinality (still on 2.6.5 on Linux;
> Mac has 2.7.1 with the same patches). I need a font smoothing gamma of 0.95
> to get the font colour I had with Qt 5.8 across all fonts I tested. Which
> means that font rendering quality is still leagues ahead of what you get
> without those patches: better than the Mac font rendering quality in any
> case (on "normal" displays).
>
> Again, the Novarese family is the one I use that's most affected. I don't
> really get why other fonts aren't affected (and still look about the same
> with the tweaked smoothing gamma). The up-to-date Infinality patches are
> here, if you're interested to see if they do anything that interacts with
> your new rendering approach: https://github.com/archfan/infinality_bundle
>

> I take it you checked the new rendering with those older Freetype versions?

It only affects newer versions of freetype, I believe 2.6.2 introduced the
setting.

Note newer versions of freetype (since 2.7) already include the most of the
infinality changes as a runtime option.

It is possible something else changed for you. The stem-darkening and gamma-
correcting if gone wrong, would either make text look paler or bolder, but not
blurry, blurry sounds lcd-filtering or subpixel positioning changing.

'Allan