[Interest] Reduce band-with usage while cloning qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Feb 9 05:37:58 CET 2017

On quarta-feira, 8 de fevereiro de 2017 21:52:16 PST Soroush Rabiei wrote:
> > Do you really need all Qt modules ? The way to save most bandwidth
> > would be to clone qtbase, qtdeclarative and whatever you need
> > directly.
>
> I am cloning only qtbase and it's still big for my connection.

If you're only cloning qtbase, why can't you just pass that argument to git
clone?

Note that "cloning only qtbase" should mean "no other repositories, not even
qt5.git"

Anyway:
- qtbase in a normal clone: 	212.11 MB (446763 objects)
- qtbase with --depth=1: 54.91 MB (22112 objects)

Note that --depth=1 only fetched a single branch (5.8).