[Interest] Optimizing performance with hundreds of widgets

BAILLY Yves yves.bailly at verosoftware.com
Tue Feb 21 14:41:45 CET 2017

I'd consider using QGraphicsScene/QGraphicsView maybe with a QOpenGLWidget as viewport. See the example "40000 ships" http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwidgets-graphicsview-chip-example.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Interest [mailto:interest-bounces+yves.bailly=hexagon.com at qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Gibbs, Matt
Sent: 15 February 2017 18:28
To: interest at qt-project.org
Subject: [Interest] Optimizing performance with hundreds of widgets

Hi All,

I’m working on a Qt-based project to display rapidly updating information from a control system.  I want to display hundreds of signals, each updating at about 10 Hz.  As a performance test, I’ve thrown 500 Labels in a grid layout, and fire a timer every 100 ms which calls setText on each label.  This ends up being surprisingly CPU-intensive: on reasonably modern hardware (2012 MacBook Pro), I use 70% of one CPU.  This doesn’t leave me much overhead to do anything else.

Are there any best practices to reduce CPU usage in this case?

Cheers,
—Matt

Matt Gibbs
SLAC Accelerator Operations Group