[Interest] initialising a dictionary-type container instance with a static table?

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon Jan 2 15:42:10 CET 2017

On 02/01/2017 14:18, René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Konstantin Shegunov wrote:
>
>> Then I'd vote for Thiago's solution. The only drawback with it is that it
>> requires C++11 support, but that should be available pretty much anywhere
>> nowadays.
>
> Still quite a sizeable population of users of older Mac OS X versions out there,
> who don't have proper C++11 support unless they do a libc++ conversion hack. And
> even then I'm not 100% sure that initialiser lists are available and/or work
> reliably.

Which versions are you referring to, specifically?

Only versions 10.10-10.12 have security support, 10.9 appears ended
now?, and so for the organisation I work for we use that as the cutoff
for our support as well.  All these versions support C++11 with the
supported xcode for the release.

There are practical limits to how far back one can support MacOS X, no
thanks to Apple's virtualisation restrications and the pain of
administering stuff which is not intended to be or good at being run
headless or virtually.  We take the line of if Apple don't support it
then neither do we; three versions is plenty enough of a support and
testing burden as it is.

Regards,
Roger