[Interest] 2017

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jan 3 13:52:01 CET 2017

On terça-feira, 3 de janeiro de 2017 10:37:56 BRST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> As a side-note: I've been discussing Wayland on Mac with one of the XQuartz
> maintainers. He likes the idea, but there's no one working on it right now,
> and the Wayland libraries depend on a couple of functions that aren't
> available on Mac (signalfd(), timerfd()).

signalfd is useless in a library since a library cannot control all the
threads in an application. You probably meant that it's used in Weston, not in
Wayland.

I'm not sure Weston would be the best solution for Wayland-on-Mac. It's a good
way to get started, but Weston's purpose is to be a full compositor. A
potential WQuartz wouldn't need to do that, it would be more like XWayland: it
would accept new clients via the Wayland protocol and communicate with them,
but otherwise all the work would be done by OpenGL, EGL and Quartz itself.

However, timerd makes sense. More important than that are actually memfd and
memory sealing, which were features created in the Linux kernel *because* of
Wayland. Memory sealing is a technique that adds a few extra guarantees to
shared memory: among other things, it prevents one process from shrinking the
SHM segment and causing the other to SIGBUS when it accessed memory that was
previously valid.