[Interest] 2017

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:19:43 CET 2017

On Tuesday January 3 2017 16:05:07 Shawn Rutledge wrote:

>If nobody has done that yet, it’s quite predictable that someone will pretty soon.  (googles) ok maybe https://github.com/RealVNC/wayland-developer-preview but I haven’t tried it...

That still requires the Weston reference server, but I guess it's a start.

>googling about remote Wayland it looks like people seem to think mainly of sending pre-rendered frames.  Both could be useful depending on speed and latency of the network and availability of the local GPU.

It certainly would make sense if that big cluster contains a whole bunch of fat GPUs - that's being done currently, no?
You'd need a pretty powerful network connection though, but that depending on the dataset with which you're working, prerendered frames might actually be smaller than the dataset they are supposed to visualise.

>No, because you can’t send any complete objects from the view layer across to the X server.  When you write the view in an OO language you’d

Seen in that light, indeed, no, that's not what X does.

>that’s why X servers aren’t known for having security holes left and right like browsers do.)

No, you can just snoop on what people are doing, run DOS attacks or funny old little hacks like melt :)

> didn’t get very far before I realized I’m not so fond of stack-based languages that I want to write a lot of code that way, despite having used
> Postscript in anger on more than one occasion.  ;-)

Heh, and yet Postscript beats HPGL every day ... but I guess now I understand why DisplayPdf never took off :)

R.