[Interest] QtDesigner needs redesign.

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Tue Jan 3 18:26:06 CET 2017

On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 01:55:43PM +0300, Serge K via Interest wrote:
> I used QtCreator with older Qt versions. Now I use QtCreator 4.0.1
> with Qt5.6.1 but I cannot see major difference between it's QtDesigner
> and old one.

There is none.

> Through years Designer remains the same with ugly
> functionality, glitches and terrible limitations.

Designer is not meant to be a full programming environment. One has to
find one own's sweet spot of where to stop using Designer functionality
and when to start real code.

This mostly depends on personal preferences and expectations.

My *personal* approach is to use Desiner only to play around to get
layout and resizing behaviour right, but re-do the actual implementation
in code, either from scratch or based on uic output.

More common is to place the cut at keeping the layout in .ui files
but do connections, actions etc. in code, because even though one
can do (parts of?) connections, actions, etc in Designer,

> You added new connection in editor? You will not see it, it is
> somewhere on top or bottom, you must yet scroll to it. You need set
> type of signal/slot connection? NO, it is not possible. You created
> plugin to use in Designer?

Since the 'Promote to ...' functionality has been introduced,
Designer plugins only make sense for really complex widgets with
a significant number of new DESIGNABLE properties.

[In my personal approach to use Designer, this, of course, means
'never', since setting some 'new' property typically does not influence
layouting]

> You will restart QtCreator after each compilation. And you
> will not have any debugging features while testing plugin in Designer.
> And others, others, others "no, it is not possible" or "made at 90th"
> features. Is there anybody now creating NEW QtDesigner?

Not really. If you want to improve Qt Designer the best approach is
to submit patches on codereview.qt-project.org.

Andre'