[Interest] QtDesigner needs redesign.

Jean-Michaƫl Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:39:33 CET 2017

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Viktor Engelmann <viktor.engelmann at qt.io>
wrote:

> Custom components in Qt are just QWidget derivates and they can be taken
> from a designer plugin. This requires some extra code for making them
> findable (+give them an icon and name etc.) and plugins are technically
> shared libraries. This explains very clearly why recompiling a custom
> component requires a restart if we want a perfect preview like in .net,
> but I still think that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Something that would, I think, boost the usage of the designer is to skip
the "recompilation" part
and just have something that scans your code and interprets the C++ instead
of compiling it, with
something like https://github.com/RuntimeCompiledCPlusPlus/
RuntimeCompiledCPlusPlus .

You would just add some metadata to your Widget with
Q_CLASSINFO("DesignerName", "My widget"),
the code looks for classes with this specific key, "compiles" it and adds
it to the designer.