[Interest] Which "Widget" technology to use when starting a new desktop app

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Fri Jan 6 09:21:01 CET 2017

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 16:58:00 -0500, Mike Jackson wrote:

> After reviewing the responses and doing some more research online we
> decided to stick with the traditional QWidgets

IMO the only reasonable choice for a classic desktop application ...

> ... for our desktop app but
> get away from the QGraphics* classes and replace that older code with
> code based on QOpenGlWidget so we can get accelerated 2D rendering.

QGraphics* can also run over the OpenGL paint engine.

So as long as you need QPainter dropping QGraphics* buys you nothing -
beside you are not happy with the quality of the implementation of this
framework. And going away from QPainter means no more PDF export !

Concerning mixed mode ( QOpenGL + Raster ) applications. I once tried it
an soon ran into: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-50916

I don't want to say that doing pure OpenGL is the wrong decision, but
one, that needs to be made carefully.

Uwe