[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 69, Issue 11

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 11:53:26 CEST 2017

That Independent article is dumb as ass. Quantum computing only solves a
*very* specific set of problems; for instance doing queries on a database
may be made quite a lot faster, and linear optimization problems (which are
so common it's not even funny) will see a great improvement with it, but
writing the rendering code of a web browser would suck horribly.

Also, keep in mind that quantum computing gives *approximates* result. So
if your boss is okay with 2+2 being 4 only 99.9 percent of the time you can
proceed with qubits. (of course this is a dumb example, but AFAIK current
state of the art experimental linear optimization algorithms have a
fidelity ~ 98.5%).

Best,
-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier