[Interest] Qt "Desktop App" for Microsoft Store

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io
Tue May 2 08:50:04 CEST 2017

Hi,

As mentioned below, you cannot "just" push a desktop app (in Microsoft terminology "classic application") to the windows store. It has to be a Universal App (what was declared WinRT once). If you are using Qt already, the easiest is to recompile your application against Qt for WinRT and push the generated appx.

If however you still need a classic application, then you will need to jump on Project Centennial and get your project converted. Please note, that Project Centennial only converts your app, it might also remove features which are not allowed for store applications (eg. regular file access). So you will need to do extensive testing before publication. A reason to use this approach might be non-ported dependency libraries.

>From what we heard, the conversion is troublesome and complicated, not only for Qt applications. In addition you are in a semi-supported hybrid state. The recommendation is to first try Qt for WinRT and report if there are any issues for you.

BR,
Maurice