[Interest] Qt "Desktop App" for Microsoft Store

Robert Iakobashvili coroberti at gmail.com
Tue May 2 09:02:37 CEST 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Maurice Kalinowski
<Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io> wrote:
> Hi,
> As mentioned below, you cannot “just” push a desktop app (in Microsoft
> terminology “classic application”) to the windows store. It has to be a
> Universal App (what was declared WinRT once). If you are using Qt already,
> the easiest is to recompile your application against Qt for WinRT and push
> the generated appx.
>
> If however you still need a classic application, then you will need to jump
> on Project Centennial and get your project converted. Please note, that
> Project Centennial only converts your app, it might also remove features
> which are not allowed for store applications (eg. regular file access). So
> you will need to do extensive testing before publication. A reason to use
> this approach might be non-ported dependency libraries.
> From what we heard, the conversion is troublesome and complicated, not only
> for Qt applications. In addition you are in a semi-supported hybrid state.
> The recommendation is to first try Qt for WinRT and report if there are any
> issues for you.
> BR,
>
> Maurice

Hi Maurice,
Thank you for the valued information and experience shared.

> it might also remove features
> which are not allowed for store applications (eg. regular file access).

Is it correct to say that a Store app cannot be an editor opening
files in any location permitted,
writing texts, Save As for the files etc. - complete sand-boxing like at iOS?

Is there a way to get permissions to function as a simple editor?

Is there Clipboard text/image exchange still allowed?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Robert