[Interest] QMake

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Tue May 9 13:00:16 CEST 2017

> Am 08.05.2017 um 20:49 schrieb Hamish Moffatt <hamish at risingsoftware.com>:

>>> Which platform? It does that on linux.
>>>
>>> Maybe you can use the DESTDIR variable to control where it's output. (I had trouble with that on Windows or Mac, I can't remember which.)
>>>
>>> The inconsistencies between platforms are annoying.
>>
>> There are no inconsistencies. Qmake puts all command line executables in ".", unless otherwise specified by DESTDIR, as correctly observed.
>
> No it doesn't, which is what Igor posted about in the first place. On Windows it puts them in Debug and Release subdirectories.
>
> André pointed out that the difference is that debug_and_release is on by default on Windows. You can enable it on Mac, which moves where the object files go, but the .app is still written to the main output directory instead. Except if you use "-spec macx-xcode" and build with xcodebuild, then the .app goes into Release/ instead.

Oh, my bad then. Since I /always/ specify DESTDIR myself - with debug and release specific paths set by myself - I haven't noticed that behaviour. For sure didn't expect it either ;)

Also, I am using the plain vanilla MinGW based binary Qt build, so there it might yet again be different: I actually /thought/ the final binary would be placed in "." when no DESTDIR was set (and when building "on the console", that is not "within Qt Creator".

But again, not sure anymore. My apologies.

Bottom line: always set DESTDIR, debug/release specific, to be in control.

Cheers,
  Oliver