[Interest] Qt 5.8 font detection vs Qt 5.3.2 font detection

Nguyen Huu Minh HuuMinh.Nguyen at vandewiele.com
Wed May 10 17:29:21 CEST 2017

Hello,

My apologies if this question has been asked before. We are upgrading our Qt application running on Lubuntu 32-bit from Qt 5.3.2 to Qt 5.8. One of the issues we have ran into is font handling. The Qt 5.3.2 version of our application detects the system fonts fine (the directories under /usr/share/fonts). However when starting the Qt 5.8 version we get this error:

"QFontDatabase: Cannot find font directory"

The directory that QFontDatabase looks at is "/usr/local/lib/lib/fonts", which of course does not exists.

The Qt 5.3.2 we use this the one that was provided by qt.io. The Qt 5.8 version we compiled from source on a virtual machine.

We can get one of the directories to work by setting QT_QPA_FONTDIR, but our fonts are scattered over many directories.

What is the proper way of solving this problem?

Did we forget to configure some setting when compiling Qt 5.8 or has there been a change in behaviour and do we need to move all our fonts to one location?

Greetings,

Huu Minh Nguyen
R&D Project Engineer Electronics

HuuMinh.Nguyen at vandewiele.com<mailto:HuuMinh.Nguyen at vandewiele.com>

Van de Wiele Company or its affiliates do not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  The views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Van de Wiele Company or any of its affiliates.