[Interest] Need advice to add tests to an existing, project

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Wed Nov 8 01:35:46 CET 2017

On 11/07/2017 05:36 PM, interest-request at qt-project.org wrote:
> Are your unit tests separate binaries? From what you said above, i have
> the feeling that your tests are somehow embedded into your main app(s),
> which is kind of weird.

Not that weird really. If this is an embedded system and a well designed
one, the first layer of "tests" would be the built in diagnostics mode
which exercises all of the components and blurts out various
settings/values. Depending on the size of or life dependency on, it
could also have a complete menu of diagnostic tests a technician can
run. Think life support machine or surgical robot.

Back in the days of the VAX 11/750 all of that microcode (what it was
called then) was on a cassette tape you turned the key to boot from.
Whole menu of diagnostics. Today we see a good number of systems
returning to built in test and calibration code.

Oh! Even better example. If you are unfortunate enough to own an inkjet
printer, when you first power it on it does all of that nozzle flushing,
head sliding, etc. That same "test" code gets executed when you choose
menu options to clean/align print heads, etc.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com