[Interest] Future of Qt [was: Future of Qt3d]

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 13:16:46 CET 2017

> Am 08.11.2017 um 11:54 schrieb Alexander Ivash <elderorb at gmail.com>:
>
> This is really confusing.
>
> From one side,
>
>>> What you **don't** say is, that you "genuinely wish to treat the Qt
>>> Project as an Open Governance project and that external contributions
>>> are welcomed and valued."
>>>
>>> There must be a reason not to write this sentence.
>>
>> Because it goes without saying.
>
>> Correct, it does go without saying.
>
> .... but from the other:
>
>> The Open Governance model is the foundation of how we develop Qt. It offers tremendous value to our users and customers. It’s also one of the big items that differentiates Qt from all it’s competitors. And changing that would be negative for everybody, including The Qt Company.
>>
>> So, speaking for The Qt Company: No, there are definitely no plans to change that.
>
> So what does it mean in total? Qt stays Open Governance-driven, but no
> 'genuinely' ? Or genuinely but external contributions are not
> welcomed? :)
>
> p.s. This is not trolling of any kind, I'm really confused.

Why the confusion? In the first paragraph that you quoted they confirm that "it goes without saying" that they [The Qt Company] /continue/ to treat the Qt Project as an Open Governance project and that external contribution are welcomed and valued."

That's the confirmation.

In the second paragraph that you quoted they explain the "why": "The Open Governance model is the foundation of how we develop Qt. It offers tremendous value to our users and customers. [...]"

That's the explanation.

There is no reason for you to put a "but" in between. There is no contradiction here. Except if you genuinely wish that the word "genuinely" is inserted somewhere here, and why that word would matter for you ;)

Now as for the matter of Qt3d: it seems that there are "project/contribution"-specific issues that need to be solved, and that we can only speculate about. Me too hopes that those get resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.

Cheers,
  Oliver