[Interest] [Development] Short/medium term evolution of the Assistant?

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:19:39 CET 2017

> Hi,
>
> I've been tinkering a bit with building the Assistant from the 5.9 branch head against my installed Qt 5.8.0, using a static lib build of the QtHelp library. That requires only a few trivial patches and the first impression is that the result is faster and more reliable in displaying the requested documentation when under remote control. I guess that'd be thanks to getting rid of CLucene.
>
> Is the Assistant likely to see significant evolution in the other branches in the near future that won't be backported to the 5.9 series? Context: using the Assistant as an external documentation browser, for instance for KDevelop (and providing instructions/packaging for an up-to-date version that's less closely tied to the installed Qt version).

(switched mailing list to interest since this post is not about qt
development per se)
Hi,

are you aware of the Qt based Zeal [1] documentation browser project?
The project shares code with Dash [2] (basically the same thing for MacOS).

IMHO it is a good alternative to Qt Assistant and IIRC there also was
a plugin for KTextEditor based editors.

[1] https://zealdocs.org/ and https://github.com/zealdocs/zeal
[2] https://kapeli.com/dash

--