[Interest] [Development] Short/medium term evolution of the Assistant?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 14:06:16 CET 2017

On Friday November 10 2017 13:19:39 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:

Hi,

> are you aware of the Qt based Zeal [1] documentation browser project?
> The project shares code with Dash [2] (basically the same thing for MacOS).
>
> IMHO it is a good alternative to Qt Assistant and IIRC there also was
> a plugin for KTextEditor based editors.

Yeah, I know it. It's a more a good complement, because AFAIK it does not currently support the QHC format. The KTE plugin is for KDE4 only, or was last I looked. I've ported it to KF5 myself and indeed use Zeal together with KDevelop for things where the QtHelp integration isn't sufficient (or simply inappropriate).

Last but not least: Zeal is indeed very closely related to Dash. So close in fact that it cannot advocate Mac compatibility for licensing/legal reasons, and that it would probably be delicate even to provide it via MacPorts.

R.