[Interest] minimum macOS runtime version for Qt 5.9+

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:25:37 CET 2017

> You spend more time trying to keep the older systems running using
outdated compilers and tools than creating new features or fixing other
bugs.

I don't think that's the case here: AFAIK you can use all the fancy C++
features you want and still target older macOS versions (as in, 10.6-like).
Just like you can target still target Windows XP from VS2017 with c++17
code that uses fold expressions and std::variant (I think thread_local and
shared_mutex won't work however, but Qt has its own implementation of those
anyways, QThreadStorage and QReadWriteLock).
The problem is not a tooling one: no one wants to run *development*
machines on old OS versions.
But the development tooling itself supports creating builds for older
versions of the OS, in both windows and macOS (and on linux too, if you're
willing to use another libc than glibc :p).

I honestly wouldn't care if we would *at least* get more modern APIs but
here it seems that we get the worst of both worlds: a slow-evolving API in
the sake of retrocompatibility BUT no support for OSes older than 3 years
(yes, 10.10 was only released 3 years ago). I mean, at that date, the C++14
standard was published, so why not at least bump the minimum required C++
version ?

-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier
http://www.jcelerier.name