[Interest] PostgreSQL cross compile for Pi

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Oct 7 22:11:02 CEST 2017

On Saturday, 7 October 2017 14:58:03 EDT Andy wrote:
> I don't really want to play the "pile on" game (and sorry for hijacking the
> it for a long time this is a particular source of real frustration.
>
> Bug reports often get labelled as "Reported" and then ignored (the
> "priority" only seems to make a difference if it's a showstopper, so why
> have the other levels?).

Well, if we had infinite resources, we'd fix them all in priority order. We
don't, so we fix what we can. At some point, we have to draw the line and cut a
release. So yes, lower priority items will go unfixed (unless they re easy).

They are, however, a great way for us to get new contributors. Usually, the
lower priority items are not as complex, which allows people to "get their
feet wet" in contributing to Qt.

> Trying to contribute is often an exercise in frustration because it can
> take months for even the most trivial changes and often requires constant
> hounding of the "committers" to get reviewed/committed. (When it works
> though it can be awesome - it really improves the quality of the
> contributions.)

I understand, and like to Krzysztof, thank you for your contributions. The
fact that you are participating means others can focus on the complex things.

I also share your pain. And to me it's worse because not only I have more
changes to get reviewed, but often I am the only person who can review the
change I made myself. According to our rules, I cannot self-approve and must
make the effort to get others to review.

My suggestion is that you send "ping" after a week of not getting a review.
After another week, if it's still not approved, make sure the module's
maintainer (me for QtCore) or the Chief Maintainer for orphaned modules is
added to the review list, and specifically ask the maintainer for a decision.
Two weeks is more than enough for at least some feedback.

> To be fair - this isn't uniquely a Qt issue - it's kind of a drawback of
> the open source model in general. It would be nice to discuss it though to
> see if we can come up with some ways to improve the process for Qt and make
> it easier/"more fun" for external contributors.

I wish I had ideas on how to do that.

> Concrete(ish) suggestions:
>
>   - for documentation/comment-only changes - maybe there's a different,
> faster path that could be introduced for these?

That needs to be to non-.cpp files. That idea has merit, though.

I remember one instance where a colleague made a simple one-line-comment
change, I reviewed it and said ok, then we pushed. A few minutes later,
another colleague came into our office and asked what the hell we were thinking,
since we broke the build (this was before the CI existed).

Turns out that we forgot the "//" to make the comment a comment.

>   - the main developers seem to be overwhelmed & pulled in 10 different
> directions - maybe there are some tasks/processes that can be offloaded to
> community members or automated?

Like how? The only thing we can add to alleviate this problem is more people
as reviewers. Anyone can give +1 and -1, but we don't seem to get enough new
contributors.

>   - are there reminder systems for "assigned" people? Maybe a weekly email
> of outstanding assigned issues sorted by priority and time-in-queue would
> help fewer things fall off the radar? (not sure if this already exists)
> (e.g. I have one P2 bug that's been "In Progress" since May.)

Possibly, but speaking for myself, I'd just ignore that email. I already have
my system and sending me more information is not going to make me work faster
(but it could make me work slower).

As for In Progress bugs, sometimes the change does take long to get worked
through. But it also happens that it's accepted and committed, but the bug
didn't change status.

>   - schedule a triage week every couple of months to go through the current
> backlog and reassess/re-prioritize? (again, don't know if this is done -
> doesn't seem like it from the outside)

I can't dedicate a week non-stop to Qt, period. I dedicate 10 to 15 hours a
week, and that's including evenings and weekends.