[Interest] PostgreSQL cross compile for Pi

Andy asmaloney at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 20:58:03 CEST 2017

I don't really want to play the "pile on" game (and sorry for hijacking the
it for a long time this is a particular source of real frustration.

Bug reports often get labelled as "Reported" and then ignored (the
"priority" only seems to make a difference if it's a showstopper, so why
have the other levels?).

Trying to contribute is often an exercise in frustration because it can
take months for even the most trivial changes and often requires constant
hounding of the "committers" to get reviewed/committed. (When it works
though it can be awesome - it really improves the quality of the
contributions.)

This has been my experience over the years. I really want to contribute,
and I try, but it's certainly not a lot of fun (which calls to mind Lars'
talk at CppCon where one of the goals of the Qt project was to "Make
Software Development Fun & Easy").

To be fair - this isn't uniquely a Qt issue - it's kind of a drawback of
the open source model in general. It would be nice to discuss it though to
see if we can come up with some ways to improve the process for Qt and make
it easier/"more fun" for external contributors.

Concrete(ish) suggestions:

  - for documentation/comment-only changes - maybe there's a different,
faster path that could be introduced for these?
  - the main developers seem to be overwhelmed & pulled in 10 different
directions - maybe there are some tasks/processes that can be offloaded to
community members or automated?
  - are there reminder systems for "assigned" people? Maybe a weekly email
of outstanding assigned issues sorted by priority and time-in-queue would
help fewer things fall off the radar? (not sure if this already exists)
(e.g. I have one P2 bug that's been "In Progress" since May.)
  - schedule a triage week every couple of months to go through the current
backlog and reassess/re-prioritize? (again, don't know if this is done -
doesn't seem like it from the outside)

  - (insert your suggestion here)

---
Andy Maloney  //  https://asmaloney.com