[Interest] PostgreSQL cross compile for Pi

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Oct 10 17:30:56 CEST 2017

It's a bad practice and they have disabled replies.

"Needs more info" is the universal cry of "I don't want to do it now."
Having been in IT over 30 years and worked at countless shops as a
consultant, I've seen that one used first hand to facilitate doing
nothing. I've seen it used on bug reports which had 3 pages of content
with perfectly reproducible steps to recreate a bug.

Allowing an auto-close with "needs more info" allows people to juice the
numbers without actually doing anything. Same as auto-closing with
"Version no longer supported." Suddenly thousands of bugs get closed and
it looks like the team is doing a great job, when in fact they are doing
very little.

Btw, you can't "just reply" to it.

====

This is the mail system at host gateway34.websitewelcome.com.

                    The mail system

<jira-noreply at qt-project.org>: host mx.qt-project.org[193.209.87.4] said: 550
     5.1.1<jira-noreply at qt-project.org>: Recipient address rejected: User
     unknown in local recipient table (in reply to RCPT TO command)

====

I have reported it. They chose to close without looking. My conscience
is clear. I will have to find a work around for this and like every
other work around done for a client, they will own it because they paid
for the time. I will be barred from recreating it for the length of the
non-compete/NDA which for some of my contracts can be up to 7 years due
to length of clinical trials.

The "How Far We've Come" post series was prep work grouping together
things which I have done in the past and are no longer subject to
non-compete/NDA.

On a personal note, in my 30+ years of IT, I've only had 2, count them
2, clients which either returned fixes back to a project or allowed me
to return them.

The first was a complete port of Netwise RPC to the Alpha platform.
Client had to have it, vendor didn't want to pay for it. Client paid me
to do it and promised to return the entire product which is how they got
the source code. The vendor was supposed to take ownership of the code
and provide support for the platform. We essentially gave them a new
product to market. Shortly after I completed and returned the port,
Microsoft ate the Netwise RPC product owner and the product disappeared
like most everything else Microsoft tries to "improve after purchase."

The second time was all of that QChar stuff which the client never got
to use.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions