[Interest] How do I get the most robust version of 5.10

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Sat Apr 14 11:58:30 CEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 02:32:43PM -0400, william.crocker at analog.com wrote:

> > > It immediately failed one of my regression tests.
> > > You should have known there was an issue because I here it has been fixed in
> > > 5.11
> >
> > Of course there are problems. Do you want us to delete every old release
> > because we've fixed bugs? We already have fixes for bugs post 5.9.5, which was
> > released today. Should we delete it too?
> >
> > Bugs will be fixed in the next release.
> >
> > > Fortunately I did not spend too much time blaming my code.
> > > I submitted a bug report and was offered 3 patches which fixed the problem.
> > >
> > > I think leaving that prominent, dangling version with known
> > > issues is irresponsible.
> >
> > Ok, we'll delete all releases. Please build only from Git, from the dev
> > branch. It's the only one that has all fixes.
> >

> I view the most recent branch (5.11 in this case) as your bold move into new
> features and, as long as that branch is sub-versioned (5.11.x),
> the dust has not settled.
>
> It appeared that the dust had settled on 5.10 and all known bugs, especially
> those introduced in otherwise mature code, like QAbstractItemView, would
> have been resolved.
>
> So, I can't use 5.11 because the dust has not settled and
> now I can't use any previous version because even the most basic
> of classes may have known bugs.
>
> That is my conundrum.

Like other people mentioned before, it sounds like LTS branches
(currently 5.9) are the right fit for you. Those get bugfixes for a long
time, without any changes which have a bigger potential for breaking
something (so there's no dust to settle).

They are also supported for a much longer time than a regular release
(3 years, but getting stricter even with non-critical bugfixes after
some time).

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)