[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 79, Issue 17

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 23 18:22:31 CEST 2018

On Monday, 23 April 2018 06:33:59 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
> > That may be, but the correct fix for the problem with libusb-1.0 is to not
> > try to type the directory with the '.' in the first place. Which is
> > probably why no one else had noticed this: because the problem only shows
> > when you write incorrect code in the first place.
>
> Wow Thiago! I can't believe you just uttered that. Caffeine withdrawl?
[rant cut]

> On a Debian based Linux distro type the following:
> cd /
> sudo find -iname "*.*" -type d
>
> You will see lots of stuff which looks like this:
[all non /usr/include results cut]
> ./usr/include/a.a
>
> ./usr/include/libusb-1.0

You've got two results here. One is that which we discussed. The other is the
one you tested, so it's not a real example.

> Directories with "." in the name due to the version numbering system in
> place and the need to partition off multiple versions from one another
> and the .d directories which exist because of a legacy convention.

You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying directories with dots
don't exist.

I am saying that they don't occur in almost any libraries' #include
statements. The reason why no one caught this issue in Qt Creator is that it's
extremely rare or non-existent in the real world.