[Interest] Use Qt release DLLs while debugging application

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Tue Apr 24 07:34:20 CEST 2018

This must be an FAQ, but can I use the Qt release mode DLLs while
running my application compiled for debug? (In Visual Studio 2015, Qt 5.8).

I looked through the mkspecs and it doesn't seem possible. The
qtPlatformTargetSuffix function defined in qt_functions.prf always adds
the d suffix when compiling for debug.

I ask because I'm not debugging Qt, and the XML parsing in Qt5Xml seems
to be horrendously slow in debug mode. It's using 45% of my total CPU
time, versus 11% in release mode. I'm not actively debugging anything
remotely related to XML but this is killing debug time for me.

Hamish