[Interest] QML vs Electron

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Mon Aug 6 15:01:32 CEST 2018

I feel your pain.

Let us not forget there is a __HUGE__ section of the industry which has
a severe ethical problem with someone taking an OpenSource product,
adding a tiny few things then trying to both license the __same__
product __and__ collect royalties in perpetuity.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

This is like watching WANG and Ashton Tate combined.

Even embedded systems have started moving away from Qt due to due to
marketing always trying to force a license on people whether they need
it or not.

U++ is getting attention.  https://www.ultimatepp.org

Even Zinc is starting to make a comeback after many years of being the
UI library for WindRiver.

http://openzinc.com

Judging from recent postings on indeed.com, even CAT has abandoned Qt
over licensing. They are now looking to replace all of their Qt people
with html5 people to convert all existing embedded systems.  Too bad I
cleaned out my sent mail folder this weekend, I had a scrape of the
posting in a message I sent to friends. It stated they wanted html5
developers skilled at porting Qt applications. I mean this is CAT. A
household name. Quite possibly the last company on the planet with any
WinCE and they've now officially turned their back on Qt, pretty much
over licensing.

I guess the final nail in the coffin will be Ford. When they fired
Microsoft over Sync it was the end of Microsoft having any presence in
the embedded world. Grumblings from the below market rate Qt coders
working there is that the days of Qt and sync are numbered. Again,
licensing and royalties play a big role, but, the bigger issue there is
they want to pay less than half of market rate for Qt talent and aren't
finding enough takers (now that I know this about their embedded systems
developers, I'm never buying a new Ford or any Ford with Sync in it.)
They can get illegal aliens working with html5 for about $10/day.

When both CAT and Ford have kicked Qt to the curb due to costs, the
dominoes will fall from there. That will be two of America's largest
manufacturers. Many others follow their lead.

As you stated Nikos, the "You need a license no matter what"marketing
approach is ensuring that no new development is occurring with Qt at
small companies. Mega sized companies with enough lawyers to thread the
licensing maze, yes, but not for long. They are going to get tired of
dancing around the never ending royalties and bring in Zinc, U++ or html5.

The U++ group/fans/whatever have been targeting Qt for a while now.

https://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$vsqt$en-us.html

Actually targeting quite a few development tools.

https://www.ultimatepp.org/www$uppweb$comparison$en-us.html

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions