[Interest] QML vs Electron

Sylvain Pointeau sylvain.pointeau at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:46:30 CEST 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM ekke <ekke at ekkes-corner.org> wrote:

> Am 04.08.18 um 19:23 schrieb Sylvain Pointeau:
>
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 at 12:58, René Hansen <renehh at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Taxing big corporate use, while exempting smalltime adoption, even
>> commercial, might be the way to go. This is just speculation on my part
>> though, I have no idea how a licensing scheme like this would work in
>> practice.
>>

> This was exactly my issue. I have an idea for a phone / tablet app and I
> really wanted to go with Qt but ~500 euros per month was a no go (for all
> people involved)
>
> I'm doing all my mobile Apps (Android, iOS) with Qt (QtQuickControls2) and
> really like Qt. (compared with Flutter, ReactNative, Xamarin, etc)
>
> As a single developer (Freelancer) I'm using the Start-Up License
> (99$/Month)
>
> the info about the startup license is something hidden on the web sites:
> https://www1.qt.io/start-up-plan/
>

> presenting my apps to other devs at conferences or so there's always a
> "wow" effect, because of UI/UX and performance of even very complex apps.
>
> the problem is the license.
>
> developers looking at Qt site always think they must pay ~500 EUR as
> independent devs which is too much compared with other frameworks
>
> even the Startup License isn't easy to do
>

> this is frustrating: knowing that Qt is great for mobile apps, but there's
> a license cost barriere
>

> I'm really waiting for a 30 EUR or so Indiependent Dev License.
>
> I know from discussions that in the past there already was such kind of
> license with less success.
>
> But in the past there were no QtQuickControls2 and HighDPI support. (Both
> was the reason why I started developing mobile Apps with Qt)

I fully agree with you. I am fully convinced by Qt, I wanted to go with Qt,
but the price was too high.
On the website, it is not said anywhere the price for a startup. I
understood it gave only the right to develop until the go live (like an
extended demo version).

at 30 euros, I would not even think (and I would switch immediately).

Best regards,
Sylvain