[Interest] QML vs Electron

ekke ekke at ekkes-corner.org
Mon Aug 6 15:44:23 CEST 2018

Am 04.08.18 um 19:23 schrieb Sylvain Pointeau:
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 at 12:58, René Hansen <renehh at gmail.com
> <mailto:renehh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Taxing big corporate use, while exempting smalltime adoption, even
>     commercial, might be the way to go. This is just speculation on my
>     part though, I have no idea how a licensing scheme like this would
>     work in practice.
>

> This was exactly my issue. I have an idea for a phone / tablet app and
> I really wanted to go with Qt but ~500 euros per month was a no go
> (for all people involved)

I'm doing all my mobile Apps (Android, iOS) with Qt (QtQuickControls2)
and really like Qt. (compared with Flutter, ReactNative, Xamarin, etc)

As a single developer (Freelancer) I'm using the Start-Up License
(99$/Month)

the info about the startup license is something hidden on the web sites:
https://www1.qt.io/start-up-plan/

presenting my apps to other devs at conferences or so there's always a
"wow" effect, because of UI/UX and performance of even very complex apps.

the problem is the license.

developers looking at Qt site always think they must pay ~500 EUR as
independent devs which is too much compared with other frameworks

even the Startup License isn't easy to do

this is frustrating: knowing that Qt is great for mobile apps, but
there's a license cost barriere

I'm really waiting for a 30 EUR or so Indiependent Dev License.

I know from discussions that in the past there already was such kind of
license with less success.

But in the past there were no QtQuickControls2 and HighDPI support.
(Both was the reason why I started developing mobile Apps with Qt)

--

ekke (ekkehard gentz)

independent software architect
international development native mobile business apps
Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
workshops - trainings - bootcamps

*Qt Champion
BlackBerry Elite Developer