[Interest] Platform integrations

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Mon Aug 13 15:54:58 CEST 2018

This past week I worked with some devs who had a Xamarin (C#) app for iOS. Qt was woefully behind. I had to muck about with Objective-C, (with Apple's site now defaulting to Swift code examples).

Simple things like setting screen brightness and status bar visibility were as simple as setting a property on a C# object. When will Qt have this level of platform integration? It took me about 4 hours to get a delegate working (I'm not a Obj-C coder) with what should have been (and is in C#) two lines of code. This is not coding less and creating more.

Qt could easily be ahead with a platform-agnostic platform object so that the same code would work on android (something not true of Xamarin as it ties the property name to the Obj-C name and therefore is not portable)