[Interest] Modern

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Fri Dec 21 23:37:03 CET 2018

Hello Nuno,

I don't develop apps. I choose to write software which saves and
enhances life rather than contributing to the taking of it.

For embedded systems I use Qt widgets.

On OpenVMS I use FMS because nothing is better on the platform. Yeah,
you've never heard of OpenVMS. The operating system running the largest
number of critical systems in the world. Nuclear power plant control
systems, defense systems, banks, stock exchanges, even Amazon uses
OpenVMS. If your computer has an Intel processor there is a rather
significant chance OpenVMS made that for you as well. (One of the
reasons the platform is now being ported to 64-bit x86.) A certain
brewer of really dark beer from Ireland famous for recording world
records also uses it. If you have interest you can read up on OpenVMS here:

https://www.informationweek.com/vms-operating-system-is-30-years-old-customers-believe-it-can-last-forever/d/d-id/1061051

I haven't written anything on Big Blue since MVS became OS/Z, but even
then it is CICS. Yes, there are Web things which feed into them, but,
all of the main screens for control, access, entry are still green, even
today. That's why you see so many terminal emulators (complete, widget
and library). By-the-by, virtually everything claiming to be VT-100 on
Linux isn't even close. Just log into an OpenVMS system (where VT-100
was created) and try to edit a file with EDT.

Professionally, I don't see myself ever writing an app. It's a market
which is literally in its death throws. One has to ask themselves just
how often Inc. Magazine and ZDNET agree on anything.

Global smartphone sales fell by 6 percent last quarter
https://www.engadget.com/2018/11/02/global-smartphone-sales-decline-6-percent/

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201802/amy-webb/forget-smartphones-augmented-reality.html
https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-death-of-the-smartphone-is-closer-than-you-think-heres-what-comes-next/

Adding insult to injury flip and stick phone sales are both growing and
becoming trendy.

https://theoutline.com/post/4186/flip-phone-revival-trend
Warren Buffett still uses a flip phone. Kim Kardashian was spotted with
a pink flip phone earlier this month.
https://www.wpr.org/flip-phones-candy-bar-phones-seeing-resurgence-smartphone-alternative
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/move-over-iphone-x-some-people-prefer-an-old-fashioned-flip-phone-2017-09-12

Whether one likes the Kardashians or not, if they are pushing it as the
new trend it will spider out into the Millenial market.

The final blow is that governments and lawyers are looking to prosecute
developers under the GDPR for privacy violations. Few believed GDPR
would pass, but it is reality now. There is now an international push to
hold both smartphone manufacturers and app developers criminally
responsible for deaths attributed to their products. Some of the push is
being fueled by videos cobbled together from security/dash camera
footage of smartphone users so engrossed with what is on their screen
they get killed.

https://youtu.be/Z_sAY_BHPNI

You may notice the trailer isn't in English. Odd that China, the country
where Apple makes it's iPhones, is rumored to be one of the countries
behind the push for a global liability law on the matter. China has had
to open a phone lane to try and protect its citizens.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2014/sep/15/china-mobile-phone-lane-distracted-walking-pedestrians

Parts of the U.S. are currently fining people for texting and walking on
city streets.

https://www.imore.com/starts-fine-people-texting-walking-city-streets

and they aren't the only country.

https://kotaku.com/taipei-to-fine-people-glued-to-smartphones-while-crossi-1571765581

While the tech industry is busy talking about holding developers liable
for security breaches

https://techbeacon.com/software-security-liability-coming-are-your-engineers-ready

The lawyers are discussing prosecution for adverse outcomes.

https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/healthlaw/08_the_revolution_will_be_worn_on_your_wrist_part2_02.authcheckdam.pdf

That's a long read for non-lawyers like myself. They start the
discussion around page 24, initially talking about the smart phone apps
which interface to clinical systems and once one reads it a few times it
is easy to see how they will extend it to be developers of apps people
are glued to at the moment of death. "Adverse outcomes" don't require a
clinical or hospital setting.

Right now there is a concerted effort to keep official government
research from happening on the numbers of people killed by smartphones.
Eventually the lobbyists and all of those campaign contributions from
smartphone manufacturers won't be able to suppress it. Why? Reuters,
Bloomberg and other news outlets read by Wall Street have started doing
their own research.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cellphones-driving/talking-to-death-texts-phones-kill-16000-study-idUSTRE68M53K20100923

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-17/smartphones-are-killing-americans-but-nobody-s-counting

Since 2013 smartphones have been killing more teens annually than
drinking and driving.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/study-texting-and-driving-kills-more-teens-annually-than-drinking-and-driving/

Here's some fun stats.

https://www.teensafe.com/distracted-driving/100-distracted-driving-facts-and-statistics-2018/

So, no, I don't care what seems cool and trendy in the app world. That
market niche has the lifespan of a fruit fly and now it is about to have
__unlimited__ liability. Those "hold harmless" clauses app developers
may or may not have in their "user agreement" had best be printed on
Charmin so they can at least be used for something. Adding insult to
injury, the smartphone app market will have completely evaporated when
the criminal and liability cases start making their way to trial so
there won't be a revenue stream to fund a defense.

Glad I never went down that path.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions