[Interest] Alone

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sat Dec 22 21:27:07 CET 2018

I wouldn't call them OpenSource per-se. They were done for one reason or
another and released freely.

A Java thing I did for the family trucking company that I'm told quite a
few small trucking companies used back when fuel surcharges were
changing spastic like and difficult to calculate.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuelsurcharge/

The perpetual project I use every year to enter expenses for tax filing.
This one has had a long life via many different technologies. Just C and
the Greenleaf libraries under DOS. In later it was redeveloped under
Lotus Approach under OS/2. The last iteration was done with Qt which was
recently updated to compile under 5.x.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xpnsqt/

As part of the fuel surcharge thing I contributed coding fixes and a
book to this project.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbasej/

I mean I wrote one for it because they didn't have squat for tutorials
or how-to documentation.

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/xbase_book.html

The PDF version gets pulled down when you pull down the project. It can
also be read at Scribd

https://www.scribd.com/document/27722304/The-Minimum-You-Need-to-Know-About-Java-and-xBaseJ

Judging from the Scribd reads

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/java-book-scribd-reads.png

and SourceForge downloads

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/java-book-source-forge-downloads.png

that project must be picking up. 4300+ downloads from SF and 1800+ reads
on Scribd is more than attention than I ever expected anything written
about using Xbase files. I wrote the book because I had to do the
research to use the library. I also had to fix a few things in the
library and those changes are now part of the library.

Mostly I post the stuff on my blog these days. Someone mentioned the
infamous Roman Numeral Calculator loved by AGILE shops using the
touchy-feely-spend-days-with-us interview process. It honked me off, so
I banked out a command line one in the amount of they generally allow
using Qt.

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/information-technology/roman-numeral-calculator/

Since those places tend to let you use "any resource you want" whoever
has to take the test now can just put a GUI in front of it. If I get
snowed in and bored one weekend this winter I may even post a follow up
complete with GUI just because the existence of that hiring process
honks me off. It isn't designed to "choose a good fit for the team."
It's designed to eliminate employee mobility. You burn half a vacation
day coming in and taking the test. You burn another full day coming in
and "shadowing" the team. There is usually another day they need you to
burn for one reason or another. At 3 vacation days per interview
process, you can't interview at more than 3 companies per year when you
are trying to get out of a Hell hole.

There lots of other Qt stuff on logikalblog.com. Since I've been putting
most of my "thought pieces" in the interestingauthors.com blog,
logikalblog.com has turned mostly into a geek site with the occasional
book tour post from Reading Addiction. If one can believe any stats from
a WordPress Users database, north of 19,000 "people" subscribe to the
RSS feed. No, I never bothered to find out just how many are actual
people with a pulse.

Many of the Qt posts are simply a journal of various Qt experiments I'm
in the process of for whatever reason. The code is up there for free and
I'm certain people take it without keeping the comments are providing
attribution. They are experiments, many of which don't run to the end
because life gets in the way, but, what I've found is there and people
use it. Because many of the posts are really a journal, things get
disjointed. It can be weeks or months before I come back to something.
I've also gotten tired of "screen scrapers" who can't even scrape a
screen right over the years so the really handy classes like
LogikalLogger (which I've had to rewrite for soooo many) are placed in
zip files and linked to a word or phrase on the page. I've found,
generally, people who can't screen scrape properly also cannot find the
word or phrase to click, so life is better. <Grin> If you really want
it, the zip file is linked in this post.

http://www.logikalsolutions.com/wordpress/raspberry-pi/raspberry-qt-part-5/

Just look for the highlighted SerialKeypad link.

I suspect this is much more of an answer than you were seeking, but, I
wasn't just speaking out my mouth when I made the statement you quoted.

Oh! Almost forgot. The "geek books"

http://theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/

The page for each of the books which actually have source code has a
"Download CD Contents" or "Download source for book" link. A goodly
number of people, I quit tracking downloads because they so vastly
exceeded the number of people who actually BUY the books, just download
the code and steal what they need without any attribution, monetary
reward or the slightest pang of guilt at having take something which was
meant to accompany the sale of a book.

Roland

--
Roland Hughes, President